Flavorful Chinese Oxtail Recipe
Chinese Braised Oxtail Recipe: A classic recipe that requires stewing oxtails with soy sauce and spices until they’re extremely flavorful and deliciously sticky with rice
2 pounds of meaty oxtails
(cut into 2 to 3-inch thick pieces)
0.67 tablespoon of oil
1.33 half-inch thick slices of fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
2-2.67 pieces of star anise
2 bay leaves
0.33 cup of Shaoxing wine
1.33 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
A pair of tablespoons of light soy sauce.
0.67 tablespoon of rock sugar (you can substitute regular sugar)
1 cup of water
Salt (to taste)
- Begin by cleaning the oxtails and patting them dry. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear the oxtails on all sides until they turn brown.
- Retrieve the oxtails and set them aside onto a plate. In the same pot, add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cloves, and bay leaves. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- It’s time to introduce the cooking wine, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, rock sugar, water, and salt (be mindful of the salt as the soy sauce is already quite salty).
- Return the oxtails to the pot, bring it to a boil, and then cover and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours, depending on your desired level of tenderness for the oxtails. At the halfway mark, check and add additional water if needed.
- Uncover and continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes until the meat is tender, and most of the liquid has reduced. Stir occasionally, and add extra water if needed to prevent sticking. Serve!
Indulge in the authenticity of Chinese braised oxtails, simmered in soy sauce and aromatic spices until they reach a sublime level of tenderness and flavor. This braised oxtail recipe rivals or even surpasses any oxtail stew you’ve ever savored!
Our Chinese Braised Oxtails recipe was among the first we shared on our website. However, back then, our photography skills weren’t quite up to par. On one hand, I feel this gem has been tucked away in our archives for too long, and I’m eager to bring it back into the spotlight. On the other hand… I simply had a craving for this dish. It’s that irresistible!
If you’re a fan of Braised Oxtail, and there are indeed numerous oxtail stew recipes circulating online, you’re in for a treat with this one. These oxtails braise in soy sauce and a medley of spices until they become incredibly tender and flavorful. I particularly enjoy preparing them for special occasions and family gatherings!
Oxtail comprises a delightful combination of bones, marrow, tendons, skin, and more. It’s arguably one of the most delectable parts of the cow, offering both exquisite taste and nutritional richness. Beef enthusiasts, rejoice!